Ready, Set, Connect! is a solution-focused, youth-led project, which explores the barriers that young people (aged 16-25) face when accessing online or telephone mental health appointments. e-wellbeing and YMCA Right Here has worked with young people (aged 16-25) across Sussex to create solutions to break these barriers, and improve the experience of young people accessing these services.
A number of solutions were developed, and the most popular young people-facing solution was a digital guide to help young people prepare for their remote mental health appointment.
e-wellbeing and YMCA Right Here volunteers were involved in the second phase of this project, and helped with the planning and development of this digital guide. It includes:
- Practical tips and strategies for preparing in the weeks, days, and hours before an appointment
- Information on privacy and confidentiality
- Links to services providing support
- Advice for de-stressing after the appointment
The other recommendations and solutions include:
- Establishing a positive relationship with the professional (having basic information about the professional, and using ice breakers/check in to ease anxiety at the start of each call)
- Different means of communication (using the chat function during a video call or quick drawings to communicate emotions)
- Providing a safe space (access to a designated 'safe space' to use a public computer/device to avoid being overheard by family or flatmates)
For practical tips on how to get ready for online therapy, click here.
To read the full Ready, Set, Connect! Report, click here.
For a digital version of the original Ready, Set, Connect! Guide, click here.